Charles Ashley - Civil War Soldier

Today I'm sharing about Charles Ashley of Jay Co., IN who was a Union soldier in the Civil War.  With the recent 150th Anniversary of the Civil War, I have been trying to learn more about Charles.  

I have always referred to him as Charles the 1st since my 3Great-Grandfather Warren Ashley actually had two sons named Charles!  Talk about confusing the family tree.    I'm descended from Charles the 2nd. 

Charles (the 1st) was the son of Warren Ashley and his first wife, Nancy Allen Ashley.  He was born in Jay Co., IN in 1844.  Sources are inconsistent on his death date as I have found both May 9, 1964 or November 1, 1864 listed but all agree the death location was in Tullahoma, Coffee Co. TN.   The cause of death is listed as disease.    His burial is at Stones River National Cemetery in Murfeesboro, Rutherford Co., TN, however the plot number is unknown according to Find A Grave.  A second source confirming the unknown plot is the Stones River National Cemetery website even though he is listed as an interment.  I would love to learn more about whether his grave is unmarked or why the plot is unknown.  

Charles was a member of Company C 39th Indiana Infantry which later became the 8th Indiana Calvary after the soldiers were given horses.  A detailed listing of the Company's involvement in the war is listed here.  Just skimming through it I was amazed at how far the group traveled on foot.  That was a lot of walking!

Depending on the source, Charles is listed as either a Private or a Recruit and I haven't been able to find the difference between them. 

Also serving in the same company during the Civil War was Charles' older brother George R Ashley who returned unlike his brother. 

Following the death of his son Charles (the 1st) in 1864, Warren and his second wife, Anna Christena Bickle Ashley, then named their next born son Charles (the 2nd) who was born in 1867.    

I'm certain it had to be devastating to receive the news of Charles' death.  I always wondered how long it took for them to find out with the communication options in 1864.   

Comments